Friday, October 3, 2014

Media & Society: Post 1/ Topic 1



Hello!
          My name is Danielle, I chose to enroll in this class because I am extremely interested in the way media effects society. I always try to keep up on all the current news stories, local and international. I have never taken a journalism class before, but I am very opinionated and journalism seems like a good outlet to express my opinions about what is going on in the world.

         Journalism is not my main course of study, and my major is currently undecided. However, I know that I want to do something culture related, so I took a few anthropology classes this term. I absolutely love other country's cultures, history, and traditions. In the summer of '13 I traveled on my own to Germany, Italy, and Sweden, and found that the diversity between countries, regions, and even cities is astonishing. I have always loved Germany's culture so it was no surprise to me that I had such a blast going to history museums, staying in youth hostels, and socializing with the locals of Southern Germany while exploring cities or while traveling by train. What I found surprising was getting off the plane in Umea, Sweden and instantly feeling at home. Before arriving in Sweden I had no idea what to expect and honestly I have never even thought about Sweden prior to going there. I stayed with a lovely Swedish family who gladly pushed me into the friendly, outdoorsy, fika loving, Swedish life style. Do not get me wrong, I enjoyed Italy too, but Sweden takes the cake. did I mention that I kissed a moose in Sweden?

        I am most interested in learning about the power of mass media,  how quickly news can travel, and if bad publicity really exists. Mass media is everywhere, along the highways, on our phones, and on our TV, but its hard to grasp how much the media really effects us everyday, even when you think its not. I would like to explore the extent of the media that we soak up every day with out noticing.

       There are so many things that I am passionate about, I don't even know where to start. I am passionate about art, and music, the world, and all the people who live in it. Especially people, and making sure those people get their voices heard. Last May I went to a protest against GMOs called "march against Monsanto" in Portland and it was extremely worth while. I got to talk with a lot of well known activists from the Portland area and listen to the talk about their ideas and share mine with them. There was a Native American chief who came to the protest to share with us the lore of his tribe and how the Willamette Valley was created, it was beautiful to say the least. He talked of times before mass production, and when the land was rich and happy to provide food for us. I love listening to the thoughts and beliefs of others and truly understanding their cause. I love being apart of something bigger than myself.






1 comment:

  1. The blog post that caught my attention was about Carl’s Jr commercials using sexy women to sell their burgers. These advertisements have half naked models eating burgers to catch the attention of viewers. The commercials are seen as both negative and positive but either way they are memorable. The point of the post is that sex sells. I personally remember the commercials from television and how surprised I was to see something so graphic. It was weird seeing it while sitting with my parents at home. I don’t feel that it had an effect on my desire to buy their food. I also feel that is it a smart tactic to get the word out about their commercial because everyone, whether good or bad, is talking about it. Here is a link to a website sharing the same idea as I (http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/brandnewday/archives/2005/05/carls_jr_paris.html).

    ReplyDelete