Friday, October 10, 2014

media & society: week two

Last week I made a Twitter account for this class. I have managed to stay away from Twitter, but I guess my twitter free streak had to die sometime..
On my Twitter account @smile_attherain, I am following a few accounts but I will just name my favorite three. I am following +TechCrunch to stay in the loop on all the new tech goodies, since I otherwise would be out of the loop. Also I am following +coreytaylorrock because I LOVE slipknot and stone sour, and I had bought tickets to +KNOTFEST so following Corey gave me a few updates on the new masks and album. Sadly, I am no longer going to knot fest... but my love for Corey and his bands is still strong. Last but not least I am following +BMW because I have and love my little BMW and I like reading all the questions people have about their cars and seeing all the unique and amazing BMWs in the world.
The best tweet I have read so far was by +Wall Street Journal about how Gandhi nominated 5 times and shortlisted 3 times for the Nobel peace prize, and why he never won.
I do believe that social media has enhanced my ability to take action in democracy, government , and other activities. Everyday while scrolling through Facebook or Tumblr I see posts and stories about something political, or why I should sign a petition for something. I think social network sites have helped spread word of stories much faster than on news print. Also it helps get in contact with people of the same beliefs and organize marches to have their voices heard.

I like the concept of elegant organization, its simple and yet overlooked. This concept probably relates to all of our lives because we are always trying to make something better. We are constantly
taking what we want to do and trying to do it better, no matter if its study techniques, painting, making music, dancing, blog organization, or woking on our "handy man" skills. As Jeff Jarvis says, " Elegant organization: providing the means to bring out the knowledge of a crowd and help that crowd share that, I think its very important".
"Most people watch junk", I agree with Jeff when he says that there is junk everywhere. If people want junk then they will find junk. Lets be honest, who doesn't enjoy the occasional stupid video or less important article, or does anyone remember the bunny who ate the raspberry? Sometimes, that's some good junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment